Tuesday, September 4, 2007

A roving dinner party idea - a starter at your house, main and mine and dessert at another friend's

I always strive to make my dinner parties memorable and so Im always on the look out for the best in dinner party ideas.

In fact, I have a few friends that are just as into spoiling their guests as I am. So, I approached two of our friends who live close by and suggested we all chip in and host a roving dinner party. We were all within a short walking distance to each other so we didn't have to worry about drink driving or anything..

The date was set and we decided who would host the starter at their house, who would host the main and who would host the dessert..

It was a superb night - the actual experience was the most memorable thing about the dinner.

When we got to our friend's house for the starter, they welcomed us with some refreshing cocktails and a light platter of hors devours. We sat and ate a wonderful entree and an accompanying drink. We didn't rush it - we had plenty of time.

We moved on to my house for the main. On arrival to our house, I'd had all the candles prepared to light and I'd chosen the background music that would set the mood further.. It was Buddha Bar CD - I'd been to the Buddha Bar in Paris for dinner and bought their CDs as a memento.. this was the sort of music I wanted to play as I'd enjoyed my meal in Paris so much listening to this and it also brought back wonderful memories.

Here is my personal favorite:



I had of course prepared a meal in advance and on arrival, I was able to make the final touches to the dish quickly and dress the salad so it was lovely and crisp and fresh. We'd bought a bottle of Pinot Gris wine to match the fish dish I'd prepared.

We ate and laughed and chatted. Even though we knew dessert was at our other friend's house, the whole experience was just plain exciting.. and because we knew at the outset what our plans were, we were all prepared that the dinner would involve moving around.

When we thought the time was right, we moved to the final destination where our other friend had again put a lot of thought and preparation into just the right dessert to suit the occasion. She'd prepared a baked dessert and all she had to do was pop it into the oven as we settled in to the new environment. Again, the mood had been set with lighting and the table was beautifully set with flower arrangements, dessert wine glasses and the cutlery and plates for our pudding. We eased into the new environment and soon the dessert was ready to be served. It was truly sensational..

The whole dinner took a few hours but of course it flew and before we knew it, it was finished.But not forgotten!

Stay tuned for more dinner party ideas soon.

Randa
The Hostess with the Mostess

No comments: