Friday, September 14, 2007

A psychic dinner party idea

Here's another dinner party idea for you to consider - well, a theme really.

A few years ago some zany girlfriends and I decided that since we all wanted to get a tarot reading, the psychic might come to us rather than us go to them.

We did our research and found a reputable psychic and we discussed our idea with them - and the psychic agreed. If you do something similar make sure that they only give uplifting news which is what they're meant to give - no negatives thanks.. you don't want people leaving feeling uneasy in any way so make this clear with the psychic from the start!

One Saturday we all gathered at my house in the early afternoon. I'd set up a private bedroom with a chair for both the psychic and the friend that was getting the reading.

So, the times had been set and we all knew which hour we had scheduled for our reading. Also, we had the cash to pay the guy when we finished so we all paid for our own. We got a good deal since there were four of us!

I'd prepared some snacks to nibble on throughout the afternoon - one very easy but tasty treat was a tuna dip - a large tin of tuna in brine (drained), a large packet of creamed cheese and a diced onion mixed together by hand in a bowl.

Place the heavy mixture onto a serving dish and shape into a log or any other shape that takes your fancy.

The final ingredient is finely diced parsley which you cover the mixture with - so if you're looking at a log shape, it looks green from all the parsely you've embedded onto the top.

I then clean around the log so no parsley appears on the plate - it looks neat. Then, I place crackers around the platter and place a knife nearby so people can place an amount onto their cracker easily without having to dig in. Easy peasy but tasty as anything! And always very popular with guests..

I also had to make sure the psychic was comfortable - I made sure he knew where the toilet was and left a jug of water by his side and some cookies. In between readings, I checked to see if he wanted tea or coffee.

We went in one by one and had our readings - it was a lot of fun and then after four hours we were done. Of course as one by one came out we giggled and had fun but we agreed to save our discussion for over dinner.

I had my reading early and as dinner time approached my friends and I headed to the kitchen.

I cooked but my friends helped me prepare the ingredients - I cooked a wild mushroom risotto.

Some onion was diced and I'd bought a large selection of various wild mushrooms along with dried porcini mushrooms. It was the perfect dish for the occasion as risotto takes a lot of stirring as you add more stock. As my the last friend reached the end of her reading dinner was almost done. We thanked the psychic and he left - it was a happy experience for all of us.

We served the risotto onto lovely large white plates and dressed the dish with shaved parmesan and baby spinach leaves which were stacked on top. It looked fabulous!

We took our meals to the dining table and cracked open a bottle of wine..

The night was truly sensational - we shared what we'd been told during our readings and really enjoyed one-another's company over some great food and some great wine.

And if you take up this idea, you may want to send your guests home with individually wrapped fortune cookies such as these:



A dinner party doesn't have to be just you and your guests sitting around a table. You can make it different and memorable. As I write these ideas, I remember each and every experience with a sense of happiness and it reminds me of a certain time in my life. It reminds me of when you hear a song and it takes you back to a certain time in your life. And you reminisce..

I'll bring you more dinner party ideas soon.

Randa
The Hostess with the Mostess

No comments: