The 1980s was a period of renewed optimism and economic liberalization. A new middle class emerged – “the yuppie”
Wikipedia says: “College graduates in their late 20s, early 30s were entering the workplace in prestigious office professions, holding more purchasing power with which they purchased trendy, luxurious goods. The decade witnessed a religious revival and the rise of conservatism, which began with a backlash against disco music late in 1979.
The eighties are also well known (and often ridiculed) for the popular culture of the time such as the over-the-top fashion, big hair styles and the commercialization of music and film.”
What was “hot” in the eighties? These will give you inspiration for the way you could dress, your hair and the music you play..
- shoulder pads
- both men and women began to wear loose shirts (tucked in) and tight close fitting pants. They also wore loose-fitting long-sleeve shirts or sweaters with the sleeves scrunched up to the elbows
- Big rand names included Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein
- Big, messy hairstyles were popular - similar to those worn by women in the 1940s or the mullet or jerry curl
- Bright and colorful make-up or the five o’clock shadow for men who wore t-shirts with the “Armani” style jacket over the top
- The film Flashdance or TV shows like Dallas, Dynasty and Miami Vice
- Ray ban sunglasses
- Pastel colors dominated clothes and acid-washed jeans
- Cyndi Lauper, Madonna (Material Girl), Michael Jackson (Thriller) and the moon walk in the U.S.
- or New Wave and Synthpop like Duran Duran, New Order, Tears for Fears, Bananarama, Soft Cell, Depeche Mode, etc
- don’t forget Heavy Metal like Van halen, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc
- House music or hip hop and rap
- Music chart toppers included Pat Benetar, Billy Idol, Guns ‘n’ Roses, New Kids On The Block, Robert Palmer, The Police, Lionel Ritchie, Phil Collins, Huey Lewis, John Farnam, Dire Straits, Eurythmics, Queen, U2, Prince – you get the drift?
What can you cook?
People became more health conscious in the 1980s. Pasta, which is low in fat and a good source of carbohydrates, really took off. The focus was on cooking with speed – with the introduction of the microwave meals could be cooked in minutes. Although people enjoyed delicate cuisines, hamburgers really took off as did fast food restaurants like Taco Bell and McDonals became popular
You could cook a blackened Cajun meal.. also quiche, steaks, chicken, burgers.. As guests arrive you could serve the a “hedgehog” made from an orange cut in half with cheese and pineapple cubes on cocktail sticks stuck in it – or even serve this at dessert time. Rice cakes and wine coolers were popular. You can be creative..
It is just a fun unusual experience to try for a dinner party idea.
And don;'t forget your hoop earrings:
Stay tuned for more dinner party ideas soon.
The Hostess with the Mostess